1. Tell me about your personal journey with yoga. Why is it important to you? Yoga has laid the foundation for me to flourish. I see it as the structure, discipline, supportive masculine energy that allows my feminine, free-flowing spirit to dance and create. It has gifted me the clear perspective to embody and embrace the emergence of realizing my totality. The teachings and wisdom of yoga offer graceful integration of my human and spiritual self. I have the ability to cope with life’s challenges, as well as understand nature’s cycles. My joy and indescribable feeling of gratitude is rooted in yoga, which has most significantly guided me to a true sense of self. This intimate and loving relationship that I continue to cultivate is infinite, forever inspiring, and the motivation I begin each day with.
2. When did you first begin teaching yoga? What made you transition into a leadership position? Yoga resonated deeply since the moment I began practicing. It was complete soul recognition, a natural feeling, and a sense of home. When you love something you want to share it and thankfully I had the courage and opportunity to do just that. Every time I teach there is a new feeling of exhilaration, which keeps me coming back for more. It is a wonderful and fulfilling privilege to share the sacred teachings and wisdom of the yoga lineage.
3. What makes your classes unique? For me it is about keeping it real. I encourage students to be honest with themselves, notice EVERYTHING! Awareness is liberation. When we tune in to our emotions and the sensations in our bodies, offering our breath into the space of tension, and simply allow ourselves to have the experience without judgement, we learn to acknowledge our true essence, a state of Being. I am all about embracing our vulnerabilities, shadow self, and giving attention to these “darker” aspects.
I often tell stories of my recent realizations because I only feel confident to speak from my experience- this is what I know to be true. No longer do I seek to be “enlightened,” practicing yoga has no guarantees. What I do strive for is authentic creative expression and to be in total alignment with my integrity. My intention is for all people who attend my class leave INSPIRED and EMPOWERED. Together we create the sacred space for profound heart-centered transformation. We heal ourselves and Mama Gaia.
4. How does music benefit your guidance in a yoga class? Music is a sacred tool. The resonance, vibrations, and frequencies have extraordinary potential to heal. Music in my class facilitates the movement of energy; it provides a cohesive experience for everyone participating. Sound creates new pathways that we may otherwise not access. In the practice of Kundalini Yoga we chant mantra to invoke that which we are calling forth. Music has the ability to transcend and release inhibitions- we give the body freedom to move and the mind softens. Music is truly a magical phenomena.
5. Tell me about your next event and where we can follow you online. “Women’s Circle: the Art of Being a Woman” will be held at the end of July (date tbd). This sacred space offers women an opportunity to tap into their Infinite Creativity and offer their experience to the web of divine sisterhood.
In addition, I teach a weekly Kundalini Yoga class Tuesday mornings, which always offers a fun and fresh perspective. A schedule and more detailed information can be found at www.ashleysunyoga.com.
Attention Yogis and Yoginis: Are you interested in doing a 5Q Interview?
Fill out your unique responses here.